Tuesday, February 25, 2014

JET and the Mrs.

Well, I finally did it. I went and got myself married. It was surprisingly pretty simple to do. I found this really cute guy... we fell in love hard and fast... and we got married for time and all eternity. I'm pretty stoked about it. I am now actually one step closer to becoming a mother and getting to impart my oceans of knowledge to you (that may be an exaggeration, but I hope you don't realize that until you're a teenager and by then you'll already know everything anyway).

At this point, I've only been married for about two months, so I really don't know anything about married life yet, but there have been a few bits and pieces that I've picked up along the way. These are a few little lessons that I have learned (or been reminded of) since becoming a Mrs.

Laugh together everyday. Smiling and being happy around each other leaves no room for bad feelings (i.e. anger, sadness, frustration, etc.). This is MUCH easier said than done, but it is so worth it. Little, petty arguments disappear when you are able to let go of negative feelings and your relationship grows stronger by sharing positive experiences.

 (being silly together is totally acceptable)


Never give up the "honeymoon phase" for anything. It really doesn't have to be a phase. It can be for the entire marriage. 

(This is how I want us to be forever)

Don't forget the first time you kissed. It was probably not perfectly romantic or idyllic. It may have even been a little awkward. Regardless, it will always be the instant that made your relationship something special. Keep those feelings special and kiss each other every moment you can. 


 (I cannot get enough of kissing pictures... only one more, I promise)

A beautiful wedding is nice, but a beautiful marriage is so much greater. This is advice that is given to newlyweds probably everyday. That doesn't make it any less true. My wedding was beautiful, but not because it was big and fancy with all the expense and luxury of a celebrity wedding. My wedding was beautiful because my husband and I were surrounded by people we love most and we got to marry each other. We are each others' best friend and that was the most beautiful part of all. That will continue to be the most beautiful part of our marriage, even after the thrill of looking at wedding pictures dies down. 


Keep your friends close, but your best friend closer. This is one that I sometimes struggle with. It is much easier for me to go to my best (lady) friend and tell her about all the crazy things that my husband has done. Or talk to my mom about the rough day that I had, rather than talking to the Mr. about it. I often feel like I unload on him ALL THE TIME. That's ok. He married me. This is what married people do. They talk about things together. They talk about big things and little things. Sometimes going to your close girlfriends for advice or sympathy is totally cool. Just make sure that your husband knows what's going on, too, or he might wonder why you haven't spoken to him in two days (not that I know that from personal experience or anything...). Communication is key. 

(This is LaLa... She is the best lady friend a girl could ask for...)
(... and she will always be my go-to gal, even though I now have another best friend.)

Finally, never settle. This was something that I started to learn before I got married. I had learned to not settle for a relationship that was unhealthy, a negative influence, or less than what I desired. Luckily I dodged that bullet when I married my husband, because he is perfect... and while he may be perfect, our relationship is not. Nobody has a perfect relationship. Does that mean we stop trying to make it perfect? No. We work everyday to make tomorrow better than yesterday. In that way, we never settle. A marriage should have ups and downs, but it's never okay to settle for a marriage which is unhealthy, a negative influence, or less than what both partners deserve. Never settle for an average marriage. Always be working, together, for a stronger marriage.


I am thrilled to be starting my journey as a Mrs. and I look forward to learning more and figuring out this whole "married life" thing. I know, though, that I could have never picked a better partner to tough it out with. He's my favorite.



Forever Loved.  


No comments:

Post a Comment