Saturday, April 13, 2013

Well... Hey There Good-Looking

Wow... I cannot believe I have been MIA for so long. Two years really flew by. I've had a lot of thoughts about updating the blog, but I never seem to actually do anything about it... until a few days ago. I heard a song on the radio on my drive to campus. It was a song that I've heard many times before, and I never really paid any attention to it... Probably because I never really loved the song. I was having a little bit of a "pity party" kind of day (it happens... we're not all perfect). I had a lot of work to do and it was rainy outside. The worst part of everything was that I was alone while (a seemingly gigantic portion of) my friends were in serious relationships or planning weddings. Gross... Quit rubbing it in my face that you are happy and life is beautiful, while I'm inevitably going to become a lonely old cat lady spinster. 

(at least HE loves me...)

That might be a little dramatic, but you get the gist of it. 

Anyway, right in the middle of my sad train of thought words screamed through my radio and silenced my brain. The words were "Don't you worry child, see Heaven's got a plan for you". Well, shoot. I don't really know how spiritual Swedish House Mafia is, but in that moment I was reminded that there is a longer term perspective that I am totally missing out on. These words also struck a chord because they reminded me of advice my own father might give. Very recently I have been sorely missing my dad's advice and I've realized that being a girl without a dad is very difficult (I'll save discussing this for a later post), so hearing these words spoken from a father's perspective (in the song) was especially comforting. 

(p.s. here is the song I'm talking about) 
(p.p.s. concerts like the one in the video will never be allowed)

Unfortunately, I cannot say that this experience helped me get my work done any faster, or reduce the amount of stress in my life, but I can say that for a brief moment, I was not worried. Life is not just this single moment. There are greater things out there for everyone, and there is a plan... we just have to be patient enough to see how it unfolds.  Plus, all things considered, my life is pretty rockin' and just because I don't have exactly what I want at the precise moment that I want it does not mean that good things are not waiting for me later. I just need to keep things in perspective and remember that I have a lot of time to enjoy what I have while I have it. I won't be a foot-loose and fancy-free, young college student forever, so why should I feel anything but joy for the experiences and opportunities in my life? Someday I hope to learn, more fully, how to think beyond the present circumstances while fully enjoying the moment. And I hope with my whole heart that you will be able to learn this in your life, too.

Forever loved. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that song for that exact reason!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I have definitely changed my mind about it. I'm kind of a fan now. :)

      Delete
  2. Right? My sister showed it to me and was like "this has a good message, listen!" haha I have liked ever since!

    ReplyDelete